Want to learn more about the MBL/NLM BioMedical Informatics course?
Without further ado:
- What is informatics?
- Database design
- Disaster informatics
- Controlled terminology
- Imaging informatics
- Clinical information systems (CIS)
- NCBI, PubMed & more
- Public health informatics
- Consumer health informatics
- Decision analytic tools for evidence-based practice
- Personal health records (PHR)
Day Five & Six
- Education informatics
- Care Provider Order Entry (CPOE)
- Internet: What's coming
- Current issues
If anyone asks me how Woods Hole went, for the time being I spout forth one or more of the following
- Amazing. Just amazing.
- 125 people applied for 1 of the 30 spots there. Why did they pick me?
- Why isn't MLA collectively tapping Woods Hole alumni for the Vital Pathways project? Usually followed by an incoherent spiel about membership/organization ROI, future trends with electronic medical records, politics, etc.
- Check out this pen, it's also a 1G flash drive!
My advice: Apply next year if this grabs hold of you. I'll be working on an online class to teach others but I guarantee the experience won't come remotely close. The all-expenses paid fellowship is not just for Americans as we had a Norwegian there too (skol!) Our medical library profession needs all the help it can get for navigating and advocating in informatics. If you weren't accepted for the program this year, try again. Keep it real by speaking your truth, your passion, and your intent to go forth and help change things for the better. I did within 6 hours after class was over by connecting two people working at federal agencies who needed to be talking with each other about the projects they're working on!
You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result. ~Mahatma Ghandi